AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3 most important things an employee looks for in an employer or employer looks for in an employee.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon B
Posted 1/19/2010 07:09 (#1030008 - in reply to #1029685)
Subject: RE: 3 most important things an employee looks for in an employer or employer looks for in an employe

Someone on this site has this quote as their signature, which I think is what employers are looking for in an employee

An employer is looking for an employee to....
1) be good
2) be fast
3) be cheap
and don't be fooling yourself if you don't think otherwise. That is the bottom line.

In the last 10 years, since I graduated cow college, I have worked for 10 employers
- 5 were agriculture based (farm service and a farm)
- 4 engineering / construction
- 1 factory
So I have a broad base of experience. Keep in mind I didn't quit any of those jobs - I either got laid off or went to a better opportunity as my skills progressed, or I made the agriculture to engineering transition.

I have worked for small 3 people firms, and I have worked for 200+ employee firms. I have found the types of companies I enjoy are smaller companies - 10 or so employees. I don't like the formal, heavy organized companies, yet I also enjoy the opportunities and benefits that a medium size company brings.

So basically, as an employee, I look for these things...
1) do you have enough of a market presence that there will always be money making work to do.
- I don't want to spend much time doing 'make work' projects or be laid off.

2) what is the class of the co-workers.
- I went to school to better myself and to be around people who have the same level of knowledge & ambition as I do. I don't want to be doing a job that a high school dropout could do as well.

3) what is the level of accountability
- I want a straight shooter for a boss. If I screw up, I don't want to sign a stack of papers. I will own a screw up, and
I expect my boss to acknowledge I screwed up, but work towards a solution, not harp on the problem.

Other things include flexibilty in terms of time off, hours worked, types of jobs, etc. Benefits are good to have as well (though I actually haven't been at a job long enough to fully gain from benefits.)

Some of the stuff I said does not apply directly to the farm, but it does apply to customer service ag-retail centers and other companies.

Edited by Jon B 1/19/2010 07:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)