AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Standard vs Specialty vs AFX vs Precision Farm Parts rotor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 1/14/2010 12:15 (#1022106 - in reply to #1021582)
Subject: RE: Standard vs Specialty vs AFX vs Precision Farm Parts rotor

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
dpilot83 - 1/14/2010 22:51

Jon, have you ever run a standard rotor with your stripper header? I'm assuming the primary reason that you have a specialty rotor is that you need the aggressiveness of the specialty for beans and things like that but want the threshing capability of the standard rotor...is that essentially correct?

Really I don't need anything aggressive because all I have to deal with are wheat and corn. I almost wonder if getting rid of white caps would be easier with a standard rotor than even a specialty rotor with Gordon bars because the Gordon bars seem to be known for pulling material through pretty quickly rather than leaving it longer for more threshing action. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Yes, we ran a 1480 with std rotor and the stripper header It worked well as long as the wheat did not have a large amount of green weedy material in it, although at high feed rates with the impeller front, it would rumble and thump a little. Where we had problems was using the std rotor for green ropey field peas or flax with tough green stems. In peas, they hammered so bad that we broke up the bar mounts on both std rotors and ripped the concave adjuster screw jack right through the side of one combine. The spec rotor with Gorden bars did a much better job of eliminating white caps in wheat, and was so smooth in peas / flax/ beans, BUT the bars on the std rotor were pretty worn, while those on the spec rotor were new, so that may have had a lot to do with less white caps.

I do not believe that the Gordon bars pull crop material through the machine faster, as rotor loss is no more and possibly less with the spec rotor / Gorden bar combo, I believe that function is 99% determined by the rotor cage vane setting.

I have not tried, but suspect a std rotor would benifit from an aftermarket auger front. My thought is that anything that smooths out the crop flow through the combine will be of great benifit for better threshing and seperating, plus much less mechanical damage to the threshing parts from eliminating the rumble thump of slug feeding. Stewart steel used to promote their auger front (AXCELLER) only for the spec rotor, but now advertise it as working well on either std or spec rotor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)