AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controlled Traffic Farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 12/16/2009 20:49 (#970427 - in reply to #968674)
Subject: RE: Like many concepts in farming,,,

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

it works in some area's, some area's it does not.

It's highly dependant too on the type of crops being raised.  I worked in spuds for several years, and there's no way to judge when a truck is full and needs to pull away and slide a empty truck under the belt. Reduced tracking is kind of an oxymoron in potato fields anyway. (no way to explain unless a person personally experiences it anyway..)

Same issue  in grain farming especially on hills there's no way to every stinking time hit exactly the same track. Soil may be moist or dry and machinery will track differently accordingly.

Now in great big flat fields that are continous corn and soybeans where reduced tillage exists there's a possibility it'd work well.  It would take years of studies and analizing to show where sacrificing portions of the fields (tire tracks) with low/no yeilds would be made up by increased yeilds off the portions that never saw a tire track on it.

There is a point where "newer/better/more technology" hits a point of diminishing returns.

I plant winter wheat I get 120-130bu/acre. I states plant winter wheat what do they get 70-80bu/acre ??   They use reduced tillage, I plow. 

Thing is there is NO magic universal "cureall bullet" going no till here would be a disaster with the soils we have "here'.  I raise mostly hay. How am I supposed to "reduce" trips across the field  ??  Hook the fluffer right on the swather and put the baler out in front of the balewagon I have to haul hay to a stack every time it fills with hay bales??

just saying may work some area's and will not work at all in others. So many variables it'd be pretty hard to show  any universal improvement.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)