AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Few non VT3 hybreds offered
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

isuagstud
Posted 12/13/2009 22:03 (#965096 - in reply to #961180)
Subject: RE: Few non VT3 hybreds offered

Colo, IA
glfarms - 12/11/2009 18:08

I finalized my seed order and found out that most of the numbers I liked were only offered or available in the VT3 version this year. I rotate 100% and have not had problems in the past with rootworm. I have even run side by side tests and have found no “economic” advantage to the VT3. Won’t we loose the advantage of the VT3 hybrids if we plant them when they are not needed? Are seed companies doing this to force producers to purchase there new technologies?

Depending on your geographic region there are some solid non-VT3 options from Monsanto. I personally would rather give up the Corn borer gene before I gave up the rootworm gene. I just do not think the corn borer population is there any more. With that said, I plant about 70% VT3 and 30% straight Roundup corn on my acres. I am nearly 100% corn-soybean rotation.

As a salesman, I am frustrated with the lack of options that I have to sell my customers in regards to non-VT3, but at the end of the day, Monsanto, Syngenta, Pioneer are all facing the same challenges. If they continue to have conventional, straight Roundup, Roundup/Corn borer, Roundup/Rootworm, VT3, Herculex Extra, Smart Stax, etc it makes a production NIGHTMARE. Way to many versions of different varieties and it is very hard and very expensive to produce that many versions. Smaller companies are seeing niche markets for people that want straight Liberty corn to go opposite their Roundup corn in a corn on corn rotation to be able to control volunteer corn. Other companies are seeing the niche of farmers wanting less traits like having only Roundup and Corn Borer. But at the end of the day, Monsanto, Pioneer and Syngenta are fighting the same battle. If a very small percentage of farmers want less traits, it is not cost effective to produce varieties with those traits. Some people say it is companies manipulating farmers and giving them no options, but I sell seed for Monsanto and raise parent stock for Syngenta and the story is the same from both companies, the cost of production, development and handling of that many versions of that many varieties is just too high and outweighs the demand for those products.

It you want fewer traits, find one of the smaller niche companies and try some of their corn out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)