AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Needing one semi truck, plz advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 11/24/2009 14:43 (#936532)
Subject: Needing one semi truck, plz advise

Panhandle of Texas

Alright, I am needing a truck (again).  I say "again" because I have owned 3 trucks before now.  A little history:

My first ol' truck was a 1987 model Kenworth.  It was a cab-over, 13 speed, & Cummins engine.  This truck was the least "attractive", but I actually cleared more money with that truck than any of the others.  I sold the cab-over (to a neighbor, and he is still running it) to purchase the second truck, which was a T600 with 9 speed, CAT engine.  The third truck was a 1996 FLD 120 with a 9 speed and CAT 3406E engine.  I owned the 2nd and 3rd truck at the same time.  I had a couple of grain trailers (hoppers), a float, a van trailer, and a cattle pot (all for my own operation).  The float was absolutely great for hauling round bales (I made some racks for the edges that tilted upwards on the outter edge), and the pot was great for our cow/calf operation.

When I sold the 2nd & 3rd truck(s), I again sold them to neighbors (and they're still running them) and got a fair price.  The neighbors also got a fair price, and I feel good that those trucks are still running strong.  It's now been about 6 years since I've owned a truck.  About 6 yrs. ago, I met a really nice trucker (owner/operator that owned a couple), and he assured me that he would be there for me to haul my grain.  True to his word, he was always there for me, and he could haul it cheaper than I could.  It was truly a win-win situation for both of us, 'cuz he needed the work, and I needed grain hauled.  I got others to haul cattle, but that was/is never a problem.  Everything was working great, but right before wheat harvest 2009, he came down with a rare, aggreessive stomach cancer.  I feel so bad for him, and stay in regular contact with him ; but he sold his trucks/trailers (before I even knew he was sick) and says he will buy new(er) ones to celebrate his recovery.  (I pray that he does recover fully!)

OK, sorry for the book, but just wanted to explain that I have been around trucks some.  I certainly don't know everything, and that is why I'm asking what you recommend.  I've searched around this website quite a bit, and have leaned a lot, but wanted to know in particular which engine you guys are liking.  I have read, here, that I need to buy a truck that is older than about 2001 in order to get a "good engine" (without all the emission crud).  Is that year (2001) correct?  "CATGUY" posted the pdf pertaining to "cutoff's on CAT engines", but what about Cummins?  I've always been partial to Cummins, and that is after owning (2) CAT's.  So, let me know which Cummins engine(s) you recommend.

Then onto tranny.  Again, I've read a lot about the auto shifter/matics.  This kinda appeals to me because of helpers.  If it were only me driving (and it won't be--in fact, I probably won't be hauling any of the grain), I would get a 9 speed.  Are the autos really that well-built?  I know they've been in city busses & such for a ~long time, now.  I realize the tranny would be heavier in a class 7 truck than a city bus, but it's still the same principle, right?

I'm not as concerned with body (brand) as I am engines & trannys.  Personally, I could go with most any 'brand', for it's the 'guts' (engine, tranny) that I'm really concerned about.  One question about Volvo's, though:  which model are you guys purchasing?  On websites such as TruckPaper, there are a bajillion different models of Volvo's, and I am not familiar with them.  I like the IH trucks, too (the way they look).

Thanks in advance for the help, and again sorry for the book.  I've got the trailer info. down stat, so I won't be asking about that! ! Embarassed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)