AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH experts.....Need some advice in an 856 shifting...(without the rhetoric please)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 11/8/2009 14:52 (#917085)
Subject: IH experts.....Need some advice in an 856 shifting...(without the rhetoric please)

Bourbon,Indiana

I have been having problems getting the shifter into gear alot this past year. Now, for those who want to bloviate about IH shift problems.... know this. I have essentially grown up in this tractor. I would estimate it has around 9000++ hrs on it, (tach cable keeps breaking & I don't need it to know the tractor is running), and I put a lot of those hours on it cultivating ( corn & beans twice each year up until 2004). I know how to run the thing is what I'm trying to say.

So, it acts like the transmission brake is not working. When pushing the clutch in, the gears do not slow down enough to get into gear. I took the brake cover off, and while it did show some wear, by no means was it wore out. Just prior to harvest, I readjusted the clutch linkage and transmission brake. I actually adjusted the brake over specs by 1.5 turns. I'm still having problems.

Now, I am not sure where to look. While the sliding mesh gears probably have wear, I can still reasonably shift if the tranny stops turning (no excessive grinding, gears fall into mesh smoothly). I'm wondering about the T.A. dump valve on the MCV. Would this have some cause & effect in my symptoms? I adjusted that per specs as well.

With what I have described, what do I need to be checking?

I have attached a couple of views of the tractor. I personally overhauled the engine/front end in 2001 and bearings were still @ standard/standard. I will agree she looks rough, but with limited storage options, she has sat out most of her life. My goal is to give her a nice paint job, (reason some of the tinwork is still off), but she gets used so often, I shy from having her out of commission for very long. Rear end has never had work done.

Edited by rebuilder 11/8/2009 15:03

(Adam's camera 010 (Medium).jpg)

(Adam's camera 067 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Adam's camera 010 (Medium).jpg (93KB - 669 downloads)
Attachments Adam's camera 067 (Medium).jpg (91KB - 600 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)