AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A couple pictures of bagging silage.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Plow79
Posted 11/6/2009 00:52 (#915084)
Subject: A couple pictures of bagging silage.

Chilliwack BC
I posted a couple months ago about possibly buying a used Kelly Ryan 12' silage bagger. We ended up getting it and after a few repairs and tinkering with it, put it to use. We ended up paying about $3,000 for it. It was a learning experience as it was the first time we've attempted to bag silage.

The only 12' bag the plastic dealer had was 500' long. It is impossible to get a bag that size to fit on the machine so we had to count folds and cut half of it off. In corn, that truckload takes up exactly 6' of bag length.

We had no idea how tight to set the tension on the brake but kept going tighter as we weren't exceeding the bag stretch limit. At the end, in grass I had 350 ft-lbs on each of the two bolts on the brake caliper. The IH 186 was limited in power so if it sounded like the tractor was going to stall I quickly released the tension on one of the brakes. You can see the bar and socket in the one picture. The tension was obviously too much as we kinked the back rack and ripped the cable spool welds off the main frame. I could run a truckload of corn through in 12-15 minutes and grass in 15-18. A bigger tractor would have helped lots but it takes 540. Thanks for the previous responses.

Here's a video of it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiDzQsRzNH8

(bagging1.jpg)

(bagging2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bagging1.jpg (85KB - 333 downloads)
Attachments bagging2.jpg (72KB - 245 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)