AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you explain what you do to a non farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 10/28/2009 09:36 (#903239 - in reply to #902860)
Subject: RE: How do you explain what you do to a non farmer

Panhandle of Texas

Saying "some people just don't get it" is very accurate.  When I was just a big kid, I remember going to family reunion's and some of our relatives would ask me and my Granddad about how the farming/ranching was going.  It used to make my blood boil  when, and it never failed, at least one of them would ask the a/c - tractor question:

"So, do you have air conditioning on that tractor?", they would ask.  "Yep, we sure do", one of us would reply.  "Wow, must be a n-i-c-e tractor", they would say.  Now, keep in mind that this was more than a few years ago, back when a JD 4440 was a fairly new tractor.

I remember my Granddad asking them, "Do you have air conditioning in your house?  in your car? how about in your place of work?"

Every single time the answer was "yes".

"Well," my Granddad said, "what's so "fancy" about me having it in my "office" when you've got it in yours' (?) seeing how I spend twice as much time in my "office" (i.e.: tractor) as you do yours' ? "

The fact that this conversation even transpired is proof positive that some people just don't get it.  To have gone up to them out of the blue, and to have asked them if their car, home, or office had air conditioning would have made them think that I was some sort of red neck that didn't know up from down, but it was always ~fine~ for them to ask us...

Another relative thought that we parked our cars/pickups at the mailbox (where the pavement ends) and that we got on horses and rode from there (!!).....I never have let her live that one down !!  They have been here to our farm & ranch several times since she asked that question, and now they realize that our lives are not all that different from theirs'.......in a way....(we've have all sorts of neat things: like indoor plumbing, heating, a/c,  an ice maker, and some color t.v.'s--haha!)...  Having them come to the farm/ranch was absolutely the best thing we could have done to help them understand "what we do", why we do it, and the hours that "all of this" requires.  After helping me off & on for only a few days, they quickly came to realize that, amongst other things, cattle do not have "off buttons".

Edited by TxFarmer 10/28/2009 15:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)