AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

agleader yield moisture sensor off in really wet beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/25/2009 09:40 (#899098 - in reply to #898881)
Subject: Re: agleader yield moisture sensor off in really wet beans

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
techno ranger - 10/24/2009 23:49

I am having several clients with issues with their Elevator Mount Units this year with the wet crops. Make sure you check your fuses.The ag leaders are in the EMU the case AFS is in the cab under the arm (fuse # 35).

Hey Ted, I have a client that has a wacky moisture problem as well. His auger turns with the button (PF 3000). I run my hand by the proximity switch and it runs. SO the Relay and the Circut should be good. The grower says that normal moisture is around 28-30% on the corn has been calibrated. Yild calibration came to .7% Max Error and .4% Ave Error. He says the all of a sudden it will jump to 38-39% moisture and stay there for a long time and then come down. Swaped out the Proximity switch on a rainy day, (old one seamed to work in the yard) and today it didn't seam to make a difference. ag leader didn't seam to have any answers. They were as stumped as I was. Played with the proximity switch and had it run all the time. Ag Leader said it should read several points wetter in this case but they never noticed that happen. Any ideas?

Not sure about this one. The fact that the Calibration for weight came out so well is really not related to the moisture problems. Remember the weight calibration is an attempt to get the wet weight from the combine to be in close agreement with a known scale weight. This is apparently working properly.

The system then applies a mathematical formula to "shrink" this wet corn to the proposed dry moisture level. This is where the problem creeps in. If the moisture sensor is not correctly reporting the true moisture then an incorrect value in used for the shrink formula.

The purpose of the proximity switch is to act as a float if you will to start/stop the auger motor in the moisture chamber. If the auger does not turn, the same grain would be sampled all day long and the observed moisture would not change. If the auger ran constantly the chamber might be empty at times (poor yield, ends etc.). Neither of those situations would be desirable so the proximity switch concept is used.

Since the grain flow in corn is generally quite high, the auger runs pretty much all the time in actual field conditions. With soybeans that have a much lower flow rate the auger starts/stops quite often.

If the indicated moisture jumps to an unrealistic value of 38-39%, I would tend to suspect a problem with the moisture sensor itself. Checking the temp reading might offer some clues. It is possible that the temp probe is not working properly. This is the button below the moisture fin in the moisture sensor.

Working with the higher moisture levels that we are experiencing is frustrating in many respects.

Edited by tedbear 10/25/2009 09:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)