AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

agleader yield moisture sensor off in really wet beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/23/2009 14:54 (#896598 - in reply to #896237)
Subject: RE: agleader yield moisture sensor off in really wet beans

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Pat H - 10/23/2009 09:20

We have been combining beans the past 2 days with moistures in the 13.6 to 13.0 range. I took a sample of beans to the elevator and they tested 13 while the monitor showed 12.8 - all good. Yesterday we tried some beans and the monitor showed 12.8 still. Bite testing the lower beans felt more like 14 and there were some wetter beans. However in the combine hopper they were more 'crunchy'. I thought probably an average of 12.8 is close. Anyway, it's starts raining so we stop - it was really too moist out anyway and hard to keep the trash out of the beans. I told the elevator I had some nasty beans coming in and the result was they tested 17.2 - Yikes! Only 380bu, but the difference should have been much less. Is this just a luck of the probe placement in the truck and/or a little rain on the beans on the way to the elevator (1.5 mi)? Or, are really wet beans outside of the 'sweet spot' of the agleader moisture sensor - ie. if they are really wet the sensor won't measure them correctly?

Thanks,

Pat

I suspect that you have answered your own question. A bad sample and rain could be part of the difference. Also really wet beans are outside of the "sweet spot" of the moisture sensor. The moisture offset is just a straight change to the perceived moisture. In other words a certain offset might give good results when beans are more in the their normal range but not be as accurate when the beans are wet.

I experienced somewhat the same thing with the little corn I have taken out. My indicated moisture on the Insight was high but the corn was actually wetter yet when tested by another tester. I am afraid the other tester was more accurate. Along the same line as your situation, I don't believe I have the offset set correctly for this wet corn. We have been fortunate the last few years and have had much drier corn. The moisture sensor seemed in good agreement with others during those years.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)