AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drying temp.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Kadman
Posted 10/21/2009 16:40 (#893455 - in reply to #893049)
Subject: RE: Drying temp.

Be very careful here. Define a double screw...Is that 2 stirrators moving continuously? Last fall I had 27.5-28%% moisture corn about 9K bu fairly level in a 48 diameter bin, a 50 hp fan. Cranked the heat to 130 and let her go for about 3-4 days I think. By the end of the the run I had corn just beginning to grow on top with all of the humidity in the bin. Plenty of vents the top too, the top panel or two of the bin door was open as well. The grain was acting very poorly to say the least. Took part of a load out and the stuff was standing straight up other than the 4 feet that had collapsed and sucked out directly above the center sump. An old timer happened to be at the elevator when I brought in that part load and I told him my dilemma, he said to shut the heat off and let the fan cool the grain down for at least 24 hours (to get the sweat off the kernel.) I did and basically had one load taken out wet at 26+ moisture. The rest was fairly dry 16-17ish but needed spade shovel to break down the area around the core. It was very nerve wracking. To do it all over again I would put less heat on at night only for 12 hours at a crack for 85 degrees or so, then cool during daytime the other 12 hours. Might take a day or two longer but least only 1 person would be need to haul corn not 3 jsut to help load the truck. I do not have stirrators. Use a probe to check to make sure a layer a couple feet above the floor does develop to block airflow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)