AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pictures from France agriculture and fellow NAT member
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

95h
Posted 10/18/2009 09:38 (#889616 - in reply to #888750)
Subject: RE: Pictures from France agriculture and fellow NAT member

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

Thanks for the pictures Zach !

It's always interesting seeing how farming is done in in other country's. (and here in the U.S.)  

Will say they know how to build building that actually last and have character, they're not just metal and post beam square steel box.  Wouldn't be suprised in the least if his equipment sheds/barns were over 150 years old.  (little suprised to see sheet metal on the roofs.)

Alot of the posters on here are pretty much mono cropper's. corn, soybeans, wheat,hay. All above ground crops.  And very little irrigated, if irrigated it's mostly all sprinklers. All very conducive to minimum tillage. (I've never heard any poster say or show pics of completely 'no till')

I would love to see anyone's pic's of sucessful 'no till'  potatoes/onions/carrots/radishes/peanuts/sugar beets/rudibagas/turnips/etc.etc.

Far as plows and 100+ hp. tractors,, you just haven't traveled enough of the U.S. there are plenty of dirt turner's out west.

Another foreign concept is irrigating,, actually making little ditches and running water down them to irrigate the crops. Many area's (west included) doens't have sprinklers, and/or the land,conditions, are not condusive to sprinklers. So,, people irrigate using rill irrigation which is not condusive with a bunch of "last year's trash" on top of the ground.

Then there is 'pest' management,,, bug's, fungus, nematodes, etc.. which hide in the 'no till' crop residue. Those pest's can be controlled or irradicated with tillage. (or reduced below the threshold)

Nobody gets to ride the "superiority horse".

There are alot of different farming methods, some work dandy in some area's and not worth a krap in others.  An open mind would accept there are many different farming methods and location/crops/weather/markets often dictate what works and what does not.   

I know Etienne will have difficulty translating alot of what I've said, but he does have a nice operation, and his farming methods obviously do work for him.  Very nice house and farm buildings ! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)