AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canadian Thanksgiving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDF
Posted 10/9/2009 16:06 (#877854 - in reply to #877735)
Subject: Re: Canadian Thanksgiving

SW Ontario
Gee Kevin I have to admit I don't very often read this forum but when I saw your name in here I figured it can't be that bad of a place. Anyway onto the question. From my little bit of cooking knowledge I know there are many variations of what you are trying to do.
What we do ( I am going by memory): I think any roast will work, we usually use a shoulder roast, something with some fat through it will obviously have more moisture in it when you are done. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and put it into fairly hot pot with a bit of oil in the bottom. Turn it so that all the sides are seared and then put into the crock. Into the pot now you prepare the sauce or liquid that goes on top of the roast. The one we use I think calls for a can of diced tomatoes, tomatoe paste, onions, garlic and chile powder. I think others will use a bbq type sauce, it all depends on the flavour you want in the roast. Cook this mix on the stove for a few minutes making sure you stir up anything on the bottom of the pot and then pour on top of roast in the crock. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
After that take roast out of crock and pull apart with a couple forks (should fall right apart). I know some recipes say that you return the meat back into the crock to be mixed with the sauce or some will then add a different bbq sauce. We usually eat as is or will sometimes strain some of the liquid in the crock with a slotted spoon and mix in.
Like I said I think you can add whatever in the sauce to give it your desired flavour as long as there is a fair amount of liquid in it (can of tomatoes). I think the key to making it work though is searing the roast in the pot first.

Good luck - it certainly isn't going to be a traditional Thanksgiving at your place.

Rob (probably my first and last post in this forum)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)