AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RR2Y ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jpseedco
Posted 10/1/2009 20:09 (#867349 - in reply to #867158)
Subject: RE: ? How were the RR2Y beans developed?

S. MN
I recently talked to a non Monsanto soybean breeder about RR2 beans. He told me, the RR2 gene is the same gene as the original RR gene. The RR2 gene was taken from an Asgrow variety and inserted into a conventional line in a "high yield" place in the bean. Monsanto took it from a much better bean than the original gene came from, and the insertion should be much cleaner as well. This bean was then bred to other conventional beans to create the RR2 beans that everyone has in their plots. To be able to be released, the RR2 bean must yield at least 7% better than a Monsanto check bean (he did not tell me the variety). He thought this check bean was a good bean, but not as good as their best RR1 bean. This is the first year that they have RR1's and RR2's in the same tests though.

Now my opinions. I think the conversion should be a lot better with the RR2 beans and should have less yield drag because of the gene. But, I think they are being bred into race horse conventionals to make the yield guidelines, and when they are stressed may not yield. Also, their has been less breeding done on conventionals than on RR beans, so there is not as much available to make RR2 crosses from, which is limiting the number of quality varieties available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)