AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Eggs...Prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JoBob
Posted 9/25/2009 14:22 (#859935 - in reply to #858724)
Subject: Re: Organic Eggs...Prices

West Central Wisconsin
Organic=healthier...well, not really
hormone free=I don't ingest hormones...absolutely false
Green=better for the environment...according to who's point of view?
Free range=not cruel, not free range=cruel...

Most people don't think for themselves anymore, they believe the first thing they hear

"In marketing t doesn't matter what something means, it only matters what people think it means. "

These are all very good and true points that have been made. I don't have a problem with a fellow farmer getting paid more for thier product, more power to them. But there are a few things that concern me about organic farming. There is some organic corn and soybeans planted a few miles from us and I don't understand how there can be any quality to the grain with all of the weeds present. I, non-organic, strive to produce the best quality grain I am able to feed to our dairy and beef animals and market as cash grain It just seems like feeding poorer quality grain to an animal is counter productive. This is where an organic farmer would tell me "so is feeding genetically altered and chemically laced grain", and I can understand that to a point. I strongly believe crop chemicals are more enviromentally and user safe than they were years ago. In the hills of the county south of me there are many organic farmers. Most of this hilly terrain is mold boarded and then cultivated after the crop is up. Is this sustainable agriculture? I personally don't think it is. Just a few concerns I have, Joe.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)