AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My BIG question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 12/27/2006 20:31 (#79405 - in reply to #79297)
Subject: Insufficient data

I didn't take the time to list all the data... such as harvested acres and yield. I'm pulling this off the WASDE data which gets revised after a couple of years so not all my data is the final numbers... too much to look up.

Specifically in 72/73 USDA had planted acres at 54.9, harvested at 47.3 mln and the yield at 32.7 bu per acre. By 1982 planted was 88.9 harvested at 80.9 and the yield at 34.5 bpa.

The mid 1970's saw yields range bound from 32.7 down to 27.4 until 1980 when yields hit 34.2 (probably a record...???) which was exceeded in 1982 @ 34.5. So as acres increased... so did yield.. due to prices.

I think if the weather would cooperate... we could increase grain sorghum acres here in the Southwest which will feed the expansion in the ethanol plants occuring in this area. Some of the ground in the CRP was put in because the operator wanted to retire... granted some needs to be in grass... but there still is good ground that could be farmed in the CRP.. especially given the improvements in No-till and the farming practices we use today. Not all of the ethanol grain source stock is going to be corn. If the weather cooperates we have a tremendous ability to produce here on the plains. It's not a guarantee though... gonna be ups... and downs.

I agree with Don that many of the "marginal" acres would be better suited to biomass ethanol.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)