AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 9/1/2009 06:50 (#831703 - in reply to #831580)
Subject: RE: Alfalfa?????

Parsons Kansas
I don't know about central KS but here in SE KS we are about out of time. Optimum time is Aug. 15th to Sept 15. Pretty expensive crop to jump in and plant without doing your homework first. I will tell you what I know about planting it here. 15 to 20 pounds per acre. I put down some Treflan to help for grass control. Didn't find anything I thought would work good for broadleaf control on preplant. Soil test and make sure your PH is correct. OSU recommends putting on 3 years of DAP at planting so it can be incorperated into the soil according to your soil test. Alfalfa needs alot of Potash. For every ton of hay removed it takes 15 pounds of Dap and 60 pounds of Potash with it. Just got through planting 25 acres last wednesday and had a little over $4500 just in seed and fertilizer. Not counting field trips and spraying and all the other stuff that goes along with it. I did need alot of DAP though. Can't help you with your drill, I used a Brillion seeder. Gotta go if have any more questions ask away, somebody here will be able to help. Good luck! Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)