AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need new accounting software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 12/20/2006 20:28 (#76458 - in reply to #76435)
Subject: My vote for quickbooks

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I have used Perception software, bought out by redwing, since 1985, purchased upgrades almost yearly as they were available.  I don't believe I will ever upgrade again, the company is pushing a new program to replace Perception, and I feel abandoned after all these years of loyalty.

I have attended their seminars, but there are still some features I have problems with when trying to use the program for something new.  I adapted Perception for use in keeping Township books (7 bank accounts) when I was township supervisor, and it is a powerful program, even though it is expensive to purchase and maintain.

I currently am treasurer for two different governmental entities, keep personal books on Perception, one set of government books on MS Money, and the other set of governmental books on Quick Books Pro. 

After working with Quick Books Pro for a while, I believe it is the best of the bunch.  It does not have the features of Perception for farm account, but as someone said, a little spreadsheet work for inventory and field operations can help a lot, and I make those spreadsheets anyway, easier than using lots of the Perception part for that purposes.

I was surprised at the power of MS Money, it give me all the reports I need for meetings, and tracks funds well. 

There are so many more options for reports in Quick Books Pro, and I believe it is a shade better than MS Money, which has a lot of personal BS that gets in the way.

I got MS Money free with another program, my board bought Quick Books Pro for $300.  Quick Books also does updates, mine is three years old, but I see no reason to update at this time.  I would hate to add up all the money I have dumped into Perception updates after buying the program for $1,500 in 1985. (All software was expensive in those days.)  Still, I could never have managed our farm funds without a powerful accounting program, so as the credit cards say,
"Managing you money to make profit--Priceless."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)