AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm from the Government and I'm here to help.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 4/27/2024 07:09 (#10719744 - in reply to #10719430)
Subject: RE: I'm from the Government and I'm here to help.

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Basically all they did is switch from metal clip USDA tags to RFID readable tags. They forced the use of RFID tags to help speed up record keeping for vets that you pay to write health CVI's to ship cattle. When the states ask for cow ID lists and a vet has to manually read each ear and write it down manually it's a extra incurred cost.

All I see on here is people complaining about cost of vet, some can't get vets to come to farm. A lot of this type of records are recorded after the sale of animals at point of sale, commission houses, etc. At that point a vet needs to release paper work for movement to another state. So a sale barn selling say several thousand head of cattle a day, someone has to do that work. Only way in today's age is though electronic readers, then complie lists. Sure we can do it manually, but costs will go up and the selling producer will pay more to sell animal.

A while back yes the government tried to put all classes of cattle on this rule for RFID tags. Which was stupid, they reverted back to existing rule, just intact breeding stock.

I won't get into the stupidity of government that doesn't think RFID can't be lost or cut out. And crooks will always try to cheat the system. But wise up to the fact RFID tags are here to stay. Some here don't want to embrace the technology or use it help increase their productivity in this business. That's fine let those that do benefit from it. Those that got 100% against it will be weeded out of selling animals across state lines, thus cutting their profits. You can keep your animals on your farm until the day they die, you won't be force to tag anything. Unless your state has any other rules of management like trich testing that is mandatory yearly, which will require RFID tags I'm sure.

The talking heads in Washington are just using this a propaganda tool to puff their chests up. Really only thing that's changed is tags, and the fact they can electronic send records faster to expedite paperwork.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 4/27/2024 07:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)