AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For guys that have run sheep and aren't any more
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sheep Farmer
Posted 4/15/2024 05:26 (#10707170 - in reply to #10705451)
Subject: RE: For guys that have run sheep and aren't any more

Northwest Iowa
The old adage I’ve always been told is the out in the west you had the cows for the glory and sheep for the profit. Nobody realizes how much a ewe flock can add to the underlying of a farm. I always say any row crop farm could have sheep because all the work happens when there isn’t much happening in the dead of winter. Such a good side hustle that can be supported by minimal facilities or infrastructure. I will have sheep forever but I do agree it is a young persons game and can be quite labor intensive during lambing. Their is about 3 things that you need to do to be able to have sheep: accept the jokes, be willing to go outside in the dead of winter, and be willing to put some good grunt force labor into it. It very well could be the last thing that you could tell a young to dive into as a cheaper way of coming back to the farm and having an income source that doesn’t require massive amounts of money. I tell a lot of young people to look into it, they all laugh at me and make sheep jokes. Can lead a horse to water but can’t make them drink.

Edited by Sheep Farmer 4/15/2024 05:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)