AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CRP and inflation , renting to the government.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 2/2/2024 07:54 (#10604719 - in reply to #10604670)
Subject: RE: CRP and inflation , renting to the government.

NW Missouri
Yep. The difference between the two is that there is no way to get around the $300 limit. Lots of ways to get around the $50k. Admittedly, that limit should go up some. I think it was $50k when CRP started in '86. At that time, ground around here went in for $60. Now it's $100 more than that.

I remember that when the 2018 farm bill came out congress was trying to cut spending, and they put a 15% reduction onto CRP rates, which dropped them in our area from $160s to $130s. I decided against putting some in during that time. Then when this administration got into power, they found some loopholes to provide incentives and get most of that 15% reduction back. So then I did put some in. Other than those couple of years with lower rates, our rates have stayed in the $150s-$160s for probably 10 years. I really think they're about right. They're lower than you can get for cash rent, so they aren't driving out the young farmers, but they are high enough to be a viable option on ground that really shouldn't be farmed continuously anyway. They do set a floor for cash rent, but it's a pretty low floor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)