AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does buying land get me ahead in my environment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 1/29/2024 04:43 (#10598570 - in reply to #10597739)
Subject: RE: How does buying land get me ahead in my environment

Glasgow, Ky

The main goal I set for myself when I started farming in the mid 70's was to own xxx acres of land that either joined,  or was in close proximity to. what I already owned.  There were no if's, and's or but's, just that one simple goal.  After the early 80's bloodbath reaching my goal looked nearly impossible to reach, given the huge financial backset I had taken, so I took an off farm job and continued farming.  This was done with the sole objective of achieving my xxx acre ownership goal. 

To make a long story short,  I was able to achieve my goal many years later.  Owning land that joins you, or is in close proximity, leaves you in the position that your one opportunity to buy it might be the only chance you have in your lifetime.  When something I wanted became available and I could borrow the money,  I bought it.  The price was always too high and the ROI generally didn't match other investments. 

My point is this, set a simple goal about land ownership, focus on that, and ignore all the naysayers.  If you achieve that goal, or don't, at least you tried and had a clear objective for your farming operation.  It also results in making you run a tight ship with your other expenditures, both farm and nonfarm.   .    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)