AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CGM's for healthy people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 1/7/2024 11:00 (#10561545 - in reply to #10561289)
Subject: RE: CGM's for healthy people

Southwestern Minnesota
This is just for discussion purposes-
Dr Peter Attia in his book "Outlive" also recommends CGM for healthy people so that they can see what foods they may be eating that cause spikes in blood glucose, but still stay within the normal range for HgbA1C. Unfortunately you can only get this in the US by a prescription at this time (although you can buy a fingerstick monitor without one). I'd like to give this a try too, but not having diagnosis of diabetes and requesting a prescription for a meter or CGM could be a red flag on my medical record, that I would like to avoid.
There are companies that do have free trials of CGM in the US (Abbott for one with the Freestyle Libre) with a doctor's prescription. But that would also likely entail many phone calls from them with offers for education, etc.
In Dr Attia's book (pages 322-330) he discusses this. He notes that CGM invokes the Hawthorne Effect which he calls the "long-observed phenomenon whereby people modify their behavior when they are being watched". (example- after you eat too many chips and see what it does to your blood sugar, when you are wearing a CGM and know what will happen, then the next time you eat chips you may likely not eat as many as you had previously).
His goal to combat metabolic disease is to try to keep an average blood glucose around 100 and an A1C of 5.1 for diabetics and non-diabetics. Interesting concept for sure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)