AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LENTIL GROWERS.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wheatwacker
Posted 7/26/2009 22:54 (#789510)
Subject: LENTIL GROWERS.........

NW North Dakota
What constitutes "Alot" of pods on a single lentil plant. .....

I grow Richleas and Redberry's.........

My Richleas on dryland have approximately 30 or more pods per SINGLE plant, with quite a few more flowers above those pods , and its cool so assume will have more pods before its said and done...... (at least 35 to 40 ???)

OK, here's the kicker, have some exceptionally weedy Redberry's under a Center Pivot, but where the lentils are nice and thick, in the good areas, I picked a few average looking single plants. No joke, on one plant, I counted 80 pods, with more flowers blooming, 300 yards away I picked another "average" plant..........counted 87 pods.......( half of em had 2 lentils in them)

So.......is this "normal" for Redberry lentils, more pods due to smaller seed size than Richleas? is this alot of pods? or whats going on. Irrigation is not the reason, I've only watered the lentils with 2 inches all season as its been cool with timely rains for the lentils...... not a good year for irrigated lentils really....

What are some of your pod counts on Richleas/ Reds/ etc????? I've never counted 87 pods on a single plant before, I know that for sure, Am I in for a monster Red crop or is this normal for reds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)