AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skip row side-dressing with UAN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 7/22/2009 20:08 (#784501 - in reply to #784470)
Subject: RE: Skip row side-dressing with UAN

I built a small 3pt UAN applicator this spring with one coulter for every two rows on 60" centers. Here is my observations after one year of useing it in several different situations:

On good well drained soil that was never stressed (stunted) for N this year, you could not tell any difference at all. All rows were always good and green. I believe this is because the N could easily disperse itself from the band and also because the roots on the corn were healthy enough to easily reach the N in the middle of the row early in the season.

On poorly drained clay that was really yellow when we put it on I could see a difference in some rows early on, especially where the fields curve and it was harder to keep the coulters in the exact center of the row. Short yellow row, taller green row, short yellow row etc. That lasted for about 10 days or so. Then the short yellow rows grew enough for the roots to reach the N or the N dispersed in the soil enough so the corn could reach it. The short yellow rows pretty much have caught up now and if I did not point it out to you, you could not see the difference.

Overall, I am happy with my choice of putting coulters on 60" centers.

(DSCN1694 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1694 (Small).JPG (55KB - 74 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)