AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Ed Boysun
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 12/1/2022 11:29 (#9959743 - in reply to #9959356)
Subject: RE: Question for Ed Boysun

East of Broken Bow
In the future, I picture something like this:

People with EVs more or less leave them plugged in 'all the time' when not driving.
Smart chargers will charge them whenever there is excess renewable power available. Right now, just West of me, there are a bunch of windmills, of which maybe 1/2 to 1/3 do not run on very windy days, because they aren't needed for power generation. With a smart grid and smart chargers, they could be turned on, and used to top off EVs, anytime there is excess renewable power. Then, if the wind dies at night, which it often does here (and there is no sunlight) the EVs would be topped off without needing fossil fuel generation.
Also, if there were a power deficit, the power company could draw power from the plugged in EVs, to get by.
There is all sorts of talk about building big huge battery banks to store renewable electricity for times when it is scarce, why not use the batteries everyone will already have?
This could be a voluntary thing, maybe you could allow them to take 10% of your topped off charge for a little discount in your power bill, if you 'need' full range, you could opt out (and not get the discount).

Just pondering some possibilities for the future, that may or may not come to be.

Now, thinking about this some more, it REALLY makes me think the way to go would be plug in hybrids over full EVs. Think about it. During a power outage, everyone who drives back and forth to work, could run the engine to charge their batteries as they drive, then plug in the house, and run the lights for a while. If you were to run the battery down, you'd still have the means to get where you need to go.
Now that I said that, some idiot will run their car all night in the garage, so I suppose Carbon Monoxide detectors will need to be in the new cars, but that shouldn't cost much, as I got a $300 HF Generator that shuts down in case of dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide.
LOL, It's cold and snowy, and my wife is at work here, too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)