AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Ed Boysun
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 12/2/2022 16:29 (#9961797 - in reply to #9960216)
Subject: RE: Question for Ed Boysun

East of Broken Bow
Again, considering my situation only, I would still lean towards a plug in hybrid, because I live in the middle of nowhere, and do not want to be totally reliant on electricity.
I live an hour and a half from the nearest Wal-Mart or Burger King. My wife's drive to work is 10 miles on gravel, and another 5 or 6 on blacktop. 2-3 y ears ago, we were without power for over a week. I have my reasons for not wanting a pure EV.
I do realize that a hybrid has as many things to go wrong, or more, than either an ICE or an EV, but in my opinion, for my situation, it would be the best compromise. With anything I drive now, if the engine doesn't start, the transmission doesn't engage, or even if it throws a U joint, I can't drive it either.

As to the cost of the battery, I don't see how the argument that the Volt battery is crazy high priced really matters, as I have seen the video of the guy blowing up his Tesla, because the battery for it was crazy high priced, as well. Seems like if you get an EV of any kind, you are at the mercy of where you can get a replacement battery, and at what price.
However, I will stand by my argument, that a battery 1/5 the size should cost significantly less than one 5 times its size, if for no other reason than it would take only 1/5 the resources to produce.
Looking at it another way, if we only have so much lithium or cobalt available, you'd be able to make 5 times as many batteries out of it, with batteries 1/5 the size.

What I would REALLY like to see, would be 'standardized' batteries, where all batteries of the same amp/hours, would be built on the same platform, so to speak. Changing it out, would just be a super sized version of changing batteries in anything else (like how some things take AAA batteries, some take AA, some C or D, or even a 9V). Standardizing the batteries, would go a LONG way in keeping costs in line, as opposed to every different make/model taking a different battery configuration.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)