AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What should I know about a CAT D4H LGP dozer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 6/29/2009 21:52 (#760814 - in reply to #760553)
Subject: RE: What should I know about a CAT D4H LGP dozer

We bought a 4H new in the fall of 88 and it's one of the earlier serial numbers. It's had a few problems, mainly in the transmission. Shift valves were the main thing early on and it still acts up a bit when it's hot... other thing was a broken planetary in the tranmission at ~2500 hours.
It's also had the angle frame (singletree is it's proper name) on the 6 way blade broken and is now reinforced.
Other than that, just your basic undercarriage work. This dozer was used mostly for land clearing and it did plenty of heavy hard work.
The downside is that it's not powerfull or heavy enough for heavy stumping. It doesn't have differential steering so it's nearly useless for heavy dozing... and it weighs about 25K (without checking I'd say teh LGP is more like 26-27K)... so it's a bit crude for fine work with the heavy grousers we have on it.
That said, it does work well for most things we do with it. Road building, fence removal, pond digging, silo packing, land clearing, etc... it's done some of each and done quite well at all. It's just not as fast on the heavy pushes.
It's also had a propensity to run hot since day one... mostly on the transmission. You need to keep the rad very clean to keep it cool....

I've always found it to have a nice cab and controls. Visibility is excellent on that dozer. Repairs aren't too bad for major components as it's a modular assembled machine though some things will torture you...

If I had a need for one I'd not hesitate to buy another, but at the same time I'd sooner a 6H for most of what we do. The 4 was simply what we could swing at the time as it replaced a dieing Case 1150. It far outworked the 1150 too...
This 4H is also near the weight of the older 6C's though it doesn't have the power. Probably a bit more machine than a 5C.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)