AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What should I know about a CAT D4H LGP dozer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

blakezr2
Posted 6/29/2009 21:45 (#760800 - in reply to #760553)
Subject: Look at other machines

WC Iowa
Aside from farming corn and beans we do alot dirt work and tiling,we have 4 Cats (3 D6Rs and 1 D6T) and 3 Deeres (2 850J and 1 850C). I agree with others you should look into a D6 of some variety (D6M, D6N, D6H or D6R Cats 750 or 850 Deeres) or something of that size range. Then M and N are a little smaller but i do like the 6way blade (PAT) on them better than the Rs. The only problem with the PAT blade is that they wont hold dirt like a Semi-U blade and for terraces you cant carry the dirt up the backside near as well and when doing waterways you will have trouble moving dirt more than 150 ft and still having a good load in front of you. On the plus side of a PAT blade they work wonders for finishing and short and tight area pushes. If you go to a D6R or H intermediate pad or LGP or a D7 and bigger, they are heavy and wide so they are hard to haul "legally" on a truck. I actually kinda like the deere machines, they have a better cab and comfort, and since they are hydrostatic to each track they are quicker and can push while turning. I would tend to think you would be happier with a D6M or like a 750C deere, they will do so much more and you actually have a piece of equipment. If you are in an area that freezes and want to do work in the winter you will like the high track cats. There is much less work cleaning around the rollers that you have to do when you quit for the day. And the LGPs are great for flotation and will go about anywhere, You will be surprised how light footed a big dozer can be with wide pads like that. Best of luck on on whatever you find.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)