AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best way to grow our cow herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/26/2022 16:15 (#9722290 - in reply to #9722121)
Subject: RE: Best way to grow our cow herd

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Agreed.

I'm no expert at breeding just read a lot and try a lot of different ways to get a goal.

Here's a link on this topic I've found interesting. 

I've bred sons to daughters with some success. I've found with my current bull, Schu-Lar 33E, I can breed him to his daughters with good results. He is a cow maker. Look at the calving ease, yearling weight and marbling EPDs for 33. My cows have a lot of EFBeef Tested in them.  The combination produces calves that are easily born then growth like crazy and can marble on only good grass and hay.

I have another outcross bull Schu-Lar 907 that is my terminal beef maker although I am keeping heifers out of him to produce some unrelated cows for 33E. Look at the carcass weight and marbling EPDs for 907. And being Herefords, these are not crazy high-priced bulls.

My problem is that I don't have enough acres to grow this system and it does not work at current land prices in this area.

And no, this would probably not work with the average bull purchased from the guy in the next town.

ETA: EPDs from a good breeder who also looks at things like feet, basic structure and longevity etc are very useful.  EPDs from folks chasing numbers and $$ can be misleading.

Edited by Jim 6/26/2022 16:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)