AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vhf repeater antenna advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 6/16/2009 23:55 (#747927 - in reply to #746711)
Subject: RE: vhf repeater antenna advice?

Southeast Wyoming

Thanks guys.  That gives me more places to look.

I had looked at the web site for Arrow Antennas in Cheyenne; I dropped by there today, thinking they only made ham band antennas.  If you are interested in seeing how one man can improvise you should take the photo tour on the site, or better yet, take the actual tour.  The current shop is not in the photos.  The lady at the shop said that someone came in one day and claimed to have heard a rumor that he (her husband) was a genious - his daughter got a good laugh out of that; I think there is a lot of truth to the rumor.

He provides antennas to many of the big outlets.  He not only understands his antennas, he build most of the equipment for manufacturing the antennas.  He said his shop has about 80 drill presses, many are microprossesor controlled and operated by air cyclinders, reversible motors and etc.  One machine takes a length of material and cuts aluminum stock to the length of the template he inserts.  He puts the stock in the rack, turns on the machine and comes back later to a box of ready to work metal.  He build a machine that takes a stack of the cut 3/8" aluminum rod for elements.  It self feeds into a shop build die machine, which oils and threads the rods an processor controlled number of revolutions, then buffs them as they exit and then stacks them on another rack.

He has an entire wall with stations of drill presses with templates for different applications.  This is a husband/wife team and they have one employee come in three days a week.

Obviously, I was very impressed.  His shop is in a building I helped build many years ago and, it turns out, I knew many of the wife's extended family.  This is not an endorsement of the antenna, but a praise for the creativity of the people.

I did buy a couple of J-pole antennas, one Model OSJ-VHF (150-162 MHz) that will probably go back on the tower that currently has the twin trombone dipole for use with the business band; and a Dual Band Model OSJ146/440 I will use for ham with my DJ5GT until I can get a better dual band radio.

I'll keep looking for a bigger dipole antenna.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)