AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter tractor MFWD......to use or not to use???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 6/8/2009 23:46 (#737733)
Subject: Planter tractor MFWD......to use or not to use???

Southwest Iowa
Our planter tractor is a CaseIH 7250 MFWD that we pull a 16 row planter with in the spring. I'm not trying to be rude to anybody out east or south of here, but we had only 1 or 2 wetspots that I had to dance around this planting season with pretty ideal conditions. We are in rolling to hilly ground here in southwest Iowa. Since the tractor does have MFWD, I always turn it on when I pull into a field. Even though the tractor will pull the planter just fine, even up and around the hills without it engaged, I figured it would probably pull it better having the MFWD on. It's not like there's a V-ripper behind the tractor needing all the traction that I can possible get. It's just pulling a planter across the field.

My father and uncle seem to think that I'm wearing the MFWD out by doing this. They claim that if I don't need it, don't turn it on. I can see doing that when pulling a grain cart or if you're gonna be in and out of the field in a short time and don't need it. But when you pull into a 160 acre patch, I don't see the harm in turning it on and using it.

I was just curious how some of you other guys do it. Do you turn yours on, or just leave it off and rest comfortably knowing that you have it there just in case you need it??? Thanks for any replies.

Marbro1
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)