AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Better than money in the bank?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/14/2022 20:29 (#9440487 - in reply to #9440406)
Subject: RE: Better than money in the bank?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I wean heifers and steers together for about 60 days then put them both back with the cows with no problems. Obviously I pull all bulls before doing that. Heifers get a shot of lute on the way out of the weaning corral anyway as there was a bull calf in the weaning group. I also hate surprises.

Steers, heifers and cows are together through calving. Steers come out one or two at a time as harvested beginning about May 1 through fall or whenever I run out of steers to process. Bulls go back in late July so there are always a few steers still grazing with the group during breeding season. Never had a problem yet. Bulls are generally 1500 lb and up where my yearling steers are in the 1000-1100 lb range. There is no question about who is in charge after the bulls go in.

My bulls don't take any crap from steers that I've ever seen. But this is with my very laid back Herefords. Results with Angus may vary.

So much easier to manage the herd over the summer in rotational grazing with them all together rather than trying to keep a lot of separate groups.

Edited by Jim 1/14/2022 20:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)