AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Holstein vs. Holstein cross
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 1/14/2022 13:15 (#9439724 - in reply to #9438935)
Subject: RE: Holstein vs. Holstein cross

SC Wisconsin
I tried a few of them, didn't do any hard numbers comparisons on them vs holsteins but ill give you my observations. I felt there was too much variation in them. Meaning they all start off looking like they are an Angus, then about 400# some decide they want to show off their dairy genetics. I fed them in the same pens as my holsteins on stuffers. So the ones who stayed with a beef frame would be short fat toad stools and tbe other ones would look like all black holsteins. The toad stool ones would bring good money, maybe a few cents back from choice coloreds at the barn. The all black holsteins would bring a few cents over the regular holsteins. The problem with the short ones would be they finish around 1200# on the holsteins diet. I dont like selling 1200# fats. I think if you were going to do it right you would have to buy them at that 500# when they've decided if they are going to look like a beef animal or a dairy one and feed them accordingly. I also ran into the problem of dairy farmers calling and saying "I've got a couple Angus calves" since they were all or mostly black. No, you have black holsteins, and they aren't worth 100-200$ more than your holstein calves. It was a well executed marketing plan by the semen companies to sell Angus seven to dairys in my mind. Genetics aren't cut and dry we all know this. I did do the math at the time I tried them, and if they wanted 150 more for the calf, and the fat steer was worth $.10 more than a holstein on a 1200# fat, it just wasn't worth it. They might be a little more efficient, but you have more risk in a more expensive animal too. I can make a couple phone calls and fill my hutches with cookie cutter holsteins and know what I'm going to end up with pretty much. Just a few of my observations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)