AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading Manure with Rocks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tonesaguy
Posted 1/11/2022 15:58 (#9434014)
Subject: Spreading Manure with Rocks

Chilliwack, British Columbia
Hey all,

I am part of a group that owns a dairy heifer grower facility 2.5hrs away. All dry lot pens, on quite rocky ground. Some stones are quite large. I have a JBS vertical beater spreader for my dairy, that I rent to the grower from fall to spring.

This is the first year we spread the pen cleanings that have been "composted" for a couple years, we moved the first animals up in fall 2018. The issue has arisen, that the rocks are destroying my spreader. The seams on the beaters that are at apron chain height are all coming apart. I had expected some issues, but not like this.

The question, since the farm is now in a position to purchase it's own spreader, which spreader should be get that can handle the abuse? We are looking at Deglemen, but they sure are proud of them! Which they should be, don't get me wrong. We really like the hammers on the beaters instead of flighting. Does anyone else offer anything close to this? Do we just have to do a better job keeping rocks out of our piles? Which is easier said than done, by the way. Currently have used an excavator to clean pens, but have bought a second loader, so hopefully can do that job ourselves now, maybe that will help things a bit?

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas welcome!

Glenn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)