AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with 1940's books on agriculture/livestock?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jim Dandy
Posted 12/31/2021 09:20 (#9409251 - in reply to #9405301)
Subject: RE: What to do with 1940's books on agriculture/livestock?

NW Illinois Stephenson county

I'd say keep them or give them to someone who wants them. I have a box of old magazines, mostly from the 1918-1920, and some from the 1950's. They talk of tiling and limestone. Universities ran trials of disking alfalfa for weed control! One crazy farmer said to plant it thick and cut it often and you do not need to disk it. Another farmer planted some alfalfa by mistake, got tired of making hay, got "provoked" and plowed it up. In the 1950's a big farmer had an elevator along the base of the face of a bunker silo and up one side to load out of it. About ten guys were pitching the silage down to the conveyor ! I wonder if these guys walked on the silage to pack it when filling? There is an old story of a guy who had a donkey that he led around in an upright silo as they were filling it to pack the silage. When the silo got full they was wondering how to get the donkey down. The donkey was so bloated from eating silage they thought it might die so they just shoved the donkey over the side of the silo. They should have been glad PETA or OSHA were not around. They would have had to wear hard hats and posted a sign warning of "FALLING DONKEYS". In a pasture renovation project, they plowed it up and then disked it down, limed it and seeded it down. They had a picture of a farmer disking the plowed ground down. He was driving a JD A or B on steel wheels. Under the picture it said "a rough rider's job in any body's book ! " These are just some of the almost funny things famers did and talked. Years from now we will be talked about and wondering why we did not do things "the right way".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)