AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

old pictures on a CD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ringo
Posted 12/7/2021 11:03 (#9363404 - in reply to #9363229)
Subject: RE: old pictures on a CD

Yorkshire UK

I'd rather give the files names than add text to them but each to their own.
Some software will do it for you but the best plan is when importing from camera or memory card make a folder with date in format 2021-12-07
You can add a clue word to the end and they will still be ordered by date.
As time goes by create a new folder for each year, and keep them grouped in that.
I find more or less annual major backups to a 2TB drive is realistic and anything more than a year old I remove from main PC drive as there's quite a bit of 4K video there too it soon fills up. 

Ideally you want two drives in case one fails - probably overkill for most but they do fail and are not hideously expensive.
I like the Western Digital refurbished 'my Books' come up once in a while.
Depending on your internet speed you could save at least some important ones to cloud such as google drive or one drive
Other cloud services come and go even paid ones could go down without warning.
The key thing is to always maintain at least two copies of anything you really don't want to lose
You might consider keeping a copy in a second location in case of fire or something - cloud fills that function to a point.

I used to use CDs for backup and then DVDs which hold more.
I can still access them but  its a crude and messy system compared to external hard drives.
Eventually external CD players and drivers for them will become an issue I expect.

You could argue that the best back up of all is prints but even they can fade or get damaged.
Personally I almost never print photos and if I do I use an online service that posts them back in a couple of days, I only have a BW laser printer at home.

Edited by ringo 12/7/2021 11:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)