AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where does a young guy start investing money?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Bert
Posted 10/13/2021 18:46 (#9267298 - in reply to #9267145)
Subject: RE: Where does a young guy start investing money?

SW Ontario
Excellent post; I commend you for being aware of the economic environment that we're currently in. Nothing wrong with being anxious here; everything seems completely backwards at the moment. Better and more prosperous times lie ahead, especially for young people just starting out. Here is what I do (I am 40 something, so timeline not as long as yours; time will only work in your favor in today's environment)

Monthly investment in something like Vanguard500 index fund. Dollar cost averaging will ensure you don't loose everything. Most investment advisors don't even beat the index, so why bother trying to fiddle with individual stocks as an individual?
I'd also keep money in cash; bank deposits, short term treasuries, short term bond funds. I do bond funds because I think that they're safer in case bank fails. Currently, I personally keep over 50% of my investment portfolio as cash in bond funds. Only 1% return, but this money is my dry powder.
Some gold and silver Eagles or Maples. Realistically, not more than 5% in physical.
Start converting metals and cash into stocks and real estate once market crashes.

Edited by Bert 10/13/2021 18:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)