AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still rotating and some pics from today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/12/2021 11:27 (#9265003 - in reply to #9264772)
Subject: RE: Still rotating and some pics from today

Driftless SW Wisconsin

timjohn - 10/12/2021 08:46 What kind of rotations are you doing? Larger or smaller paddocks? daily moves? Grass looks awesome. We grazed ours down too far and it has not come back as well as I hoped. Lesson for next year! Cattle look great. There is a Hereford herd coming up for sale at the Fennimore Salebarn soon. I might buy a few there. Thanks Tim

Hello Tim, I'm generally varying the size of grass open to the group by what I have going on. While daily moves of the wire are best I cant do that so usually open up 2 or 3 days worth at a time.  If we're going to the Boundary Waters for a few days I'll open up a bit more.  Joel Salatin wrote in his first book, "Salad Bar Beef" to ideally put cattle on fresh grass when the grass is 10" tall and take them off when they eat it down to about 4" tall. I find that works. Also leave about 30 days recovery time before grazing again. More or less depending on weather.

I don't use a back wire and have a single watering station. I'll move the lead wire ahead in a strip for 7 to 10 days then close it off and have the cows come in from the other end so they don't end up grazing much regrowth.

A key for me is to be making most of my winter hay on shares on other nearby land, allowing me to graze rather than cut hay on my limited open acres. However it is amazing what carrying capacity you can get from a good rotational grazing system. Inline wrapping has also greatly improved my hay quality and reduced waste, also increasing winter carrying capacity. 

Good Herefords work well in this type of all-grass, birth-to-plate system. I have found, however, that I have basically had to develop my own Hereford cows. Most folks don't sell their best cows.

It's a bit late now but Bryce at Schu-Lar in KS had a sale last weekend selling their spring calving cows after Stan passed away. They will be all fall calving from now on. That would have been a good sale to buy some starter cows.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Jim 10/12/2021 11:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)