AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reversing dementia with diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/26/2021 11:29 (#9078852 - in reply to #9078812)
Subject: RE: Reversing dementia with diet

Pittsburg, Kansas
Ok, so 98% were metabolically unhealthy.

I think there are 5 criteria for metabolic health and if a person has one of those criteria they they would be catagorized as in the 98% group.

That is probably an overstatement to some degree, but when people start getting two or three of those criteria then there becomes some evident health issues. I can't remember what all the criteria are right off hand but they incluse things like glucose levels, blood pressure, etc.

I think I have read that people that have two or more of the criteria are in the 70 or 80% range of being metabolically unhealthy.

Diet can improve some of those in a very short period of time. In some cases 24 hours, in other cases a matter of a few weeks.

Took me one week to go from 90-100 insulin units a day in 4 injections to go to half that amount. Two weeks and I was totally off all insulin (have not had an insulin shot in over two years now). Within three months off all my other diabetes medications. Funny thing was, during our first week of the diet we were not strict at all. We had just bought groceries with a bunch of stuff like chips, cookies and the normal cooking stuff. Wife says "what are we going to do with all this food we just bought?". I said we will just cut our portions in half till we get through the groceries, then go full diet. So that first week we were still eating potato chips and cookies (albeit she quit cooking things like pasta), but just in smaller portions. Replacing the carbs with meat protein and mostly green veggies.

By the end of the first week we felt so much better on just reducing carbs that the rest of the carby gorceries we gave away and trashed. So it was the second week before we actually started <20 grams of carbs a day. In retrospect, that may have been a good transition because we never had the "keto flu" from electrolyte imbalances. We did up our obvious salt intake though too. I say obvious because when a person quits eating junk food a lot of it has a ton of salt and vegetable oil in it. If a person goes to whole real food not replacing some of that salt can lead to problems.

Sorry, got off on a tangent.

Edited by John Burns 6/26/2021 11:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)