AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for you top notch hired hands, and those who employ them.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DevinF
Posted 5/11/2009 23:28 (#710588 - in reply to #710477)
Subject: Re: Incentives, incentives, incentives

Nwmo
I would agree with the incentives idea, I work for my brother in his operation. I have worked for him about 8 years, Each year learn more and more. However I always needed motivation or a reason to learn it, for instance the last 2 years he has been dabbling with grain marketing buying options, calls, and puts etc. I could care less about that stuff because I don't see the reward from it and I don't actually get to do it we just talk about it. I had no reason for knowing that kind of stuff, this year I started farming my own ground while still working for him. Now I wish I had paid more attention to his mistakes and what he was doing because I am going to have to start doing the same thing.

The other thing that really helped me was having the responsibility of doing new things, for instance I own the combine and he hires me to combine everything. As you probably figured I now know how to run a combine, I know what he expects as far as sample quality and field loss. I make sure to keep it exceptable to him. So for me having the responsibility of doing something and knowing I was expected to do it right was enough of a motivation to ask the right questions and pay attention enough to remember and learn how to take care of the task at hand.

As for the 2 instances where he doesn't know fertilizer analysis's and what glyphosate is, I would ask you has he ever had to know this stuff? He has probably had the fertilizer cart set for him and never been told or shown what he is spreading and why it matters. As for glyphosate I wouldn't worry about that, most people around here just refer to it as roundup no matter what brand it is.

I owe everything I know to my father, brother, a few friends and this site. What I am saying is what I know has a direct correlation to who I am around and what they know and can teach me.

Devin

Edited by DevinF 5/11/2009 23:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)