AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nitrogen Enhancement Study
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 12/18/2009 09:47 (#972935 - in reply to #972871)
Subject: Re: I did better

I did 173.2 bu corn in central Iowa on 111 units of N after 35 bushel beans in 2007.

No till, applied 100 pounds of MAP with a spreader. Applied 60 pounds of N as 32% 2-1/2" from the row with the planter. Side dressed 40 pounds of N when the corn was over 3' tall by dribbling it every other row. Scared some leaves that way. Crows 4221T RR only variety that I chose because it was rated to produce well with marginal nutrition, planted 34,000 per acre.

The planter dropped about on additional seed every 20 feet and so I ran out and finished the field with Ottlie 2088RR and then a Dyna-Grow number. The Ottlie looked OK in its 3/4 acre. the DynaGrow was too thick it had normal length ears but less than half the ear was filled at harvest.

Stalk nitrogen tests on the Crows' number showed 237 ppm. Likely it would have responded to a bit more N.

There was about a pound of N in the AMS of the two glyphosate sprays. No persistent herbicide.

OM at least 4%, one recent year tests in two labs said 12% which I don't believe.

23.3 acres, not a test plot, my whole farm that was in cultivation that year.

No yield monitor on the combine to get a map of the effects of soil moisture, sandy spots, and changes in seed.

No magic foo foo juice either, just a timely application of the N and a good number that made very good use of the N.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)