AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RR1 saved seed story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

beetguy
Posted 12/17/2009 07:43 (#971169 - in reply to #971106)
Subject: Re:Plant variety protection act clarification

Below are some highlights of the PVP act of 1970, these are the bullets that came up at Colorado States Extension site when I googled PVP. I don't know how you enforce this, but what it really means is that you CAN'T SELL seed from protected varieties. You CAN SAVE for your own use after paying for the original bag of seed. How many years you can continue to do this by saving your own seed from the original bag I don't know. Perhaps more important, really, is how long you want to continue to grow out seed from an original bag. I would expect performance to drop at some point.

The Plant Variety Protection Act provides developers of new varieties of plants patent-like rights that protect the reproduction and distribution of their varieties.
Varieties that are protected under the Plant Variety Protection Act can be sold as seed stocks only with permission of the certificate holder and in some cases, only as a class of Certified seed.
Varieties that are protected must have labels on the seed containers indicating the type of protection.
Farmers may save a limited amount of seed for replanting, but cannot sell it to anyone without permission of the owner.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)