AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LL vs RUP vs non GMO beans my thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 8/8/2009 16:55 (#804392 - in reply to #804104)
Subject: RE: RU ready seed prices.

Brazilton KS

I'm not sure how you can possibly "save" anything when spending an extra $80 per acre on traited seed.  My entire herbicide program on soybeans this year is running about $25 per acre, not counting glyphosate in the burndown.  I am covering almost everything in our weed spectrum with two different modes of action, most broadleaves with three. 

Yes, it is a pain in the butt putting everything in the load and rinsing the two trips worth of jugs for every load, but it works, and it sure as hell doesn't cost as much as you are talking for superRR.    I guess as long as everyone else is willing to pay it, I'll take my savings and put it in the bank along with the premium on the soybeans when we sell them.  It's always good to have some sort of a competitive advantage going for you!

I'll believe this extra ten bushels of yield you claim after I see it proven.   I remember some years ago someone was on here telling us how we were all just going to lose the farm if we planted a soybean which came out more then a year ago, because of the "enormous" advances in yields with newer varieties.   Soybean yields have not increased by ten bushels in my lifetime.   Go looking at group V soybean trials from Kentucky.  Their long term control is Essex, released in 1974, with no SCN resistance, and you still find it at about #20 on the yield list, with only about 9 actually beating it at a 90% confidence level.  Oh yeah, and of those 9 which beat good ole 1974 "technology," FIVE (5) are not RR, including the TOP FOUR(4) on the list.   #1 on the list, incidentally, is on every acre we have in soybeans this year. 

I was rather concerned about the lack of effort being put into breeding conventional beans,  however I recently heard, from a source I believe to be reliable, that K-State is currently only breeding non-RR.    I have renewed hope.  

Edited by plowboy 8/8/2009 17:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)