AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacing diesel engine with gas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 5/23/2019 14:08 (#7515788)
Subject: Replacing diesel engine with gas

I have a sprayer that is a pull type air blast sprayer. It has an older Detroit 6v53 in it that still runs but getting old and frankly with as hard as it is to find parts I can't depend on it.

So been thinking about rebuilding this sprayer and customizing it for my needs. Which gets me thinking. A diesel engine is expensive and heavy. Been thinking about with the new engine going gas. Like a truck v8 engine that will produce about 300hp.(Detroit in it now produces about 200).
I run it direct drive now at 2000-2200rpm. It has a hand clutch to engage and disengage the driveshaft to the fan. I also have a linear electrical servo to control throttle from cab of tractor.

So what if a guy got a 6.0 gm or somthing gas engine where can you find a clutch to engage driveshaft? Also would need to find some sort of 2:1 gearbox so the engine could run at 4000-4400rpm and make peak power. How about throttle control and ecm and all that?

Or I could go hydraulic drive and eliminate driveshafts which would be nice. Also I would be using a hydraulic driven centrifugal pump. Right now on the Detroit I am using the power the power steering pump to run the centrifugal pump and that works great. Use a 20 gallon resivoir and a cooler Infront of the radiator. Can you get a gearbox that bolts the the flywheel housing of a gas engine to attach hydraulic pumps?

I like the idea of a gas engine for simplicity and weight. I don't like the idea of hualing gas to fill it but really isn't that big of a deal. Would put about 100 hrs a year on it so it should last a while as long as it's maintianed and running good.

Any body have any experience with anything like this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)