AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TMX864
Posted 3/14/2019 11:00 (#7379913 - in reply to #7379702)
Subject: RE: Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling

Michigan
lawfarms - 3/14/2019 09:17

I find this interesting as you have die hard pioneer people and who are also pro build the wall and support USA made. So it's interesting to see how they spin this.

It's sad to say that instead of teaching kids the value of hard work and manual labor lets bring in the migrants.

The Seed corn price isn't gonna get any cheaper if the seed companies use cheaper labor.

The locals won't do it as the pay & conditions suck. The pay sucks because migrants will do it cheaper as the pay and conditions in their home country are worse.

You’re really missing the point. Obviously you don’t understand seed corn production.

This isn’t a “teaching” job. This is a job that requires the acres to be covered correctly and in a timely fashion. If the kids won’t do a good job in the 2-4 day window there is to get the job done that leads to a potential for that field being destroyed. That can add up to big money.

The pay doesn’t suck. The child labor laws and regulations suck and make it difficult for kids to compete. The lack of kids who actually understand they have to work for their pay makes it hard for kids to compete.

The Hispanic labor used now that I’ve been around isn’t some fly by night sketchy crews coming in and slashing the prices to get work. They are professionals at what they do and they follow all H2a guidelines. What I’ve experienced has been the pay is the same for all crews based on $/acre. It’s probably even more to H2a crews do to requirements with that. Everyone has the same opportunity, it’s not bid out for people to get cut throat with.

Edited by TMX864 3/14/2019 11:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)