AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

idalivered
Posted 3/14/2019 06:35 (#7379361 - in reply to #7379182)
Subject: RE: Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling

ncia
back in the mid 90s , our local middle school contracted acres with pioneer to help fund middle school athletic programs. all work was to be done on a volunteer basis. I went with my middle school age child. Lots of 13-14 year old were supposed to be detasseling. after the first round, I told the principal "you need to open up a corn plant and show these guys what is inside". they didn't have a clue. they were just walking and not pulling tasels. any way after this fiasco for 4 days pioneer said get this done oor we will bring in another crew (Hispanics) and clean it up. We went on a sunday with adults only and got it done.

that same daughter worked for a crew (maybe like the one described) that contracted a lot of acres with pioneer and hired the kids by the hour to do the work. I felt the crew leaders were making most of the money , but they were also responsible. My daughter got hired several years and was a crew leader, but I thought what she was paid was a lot less than what she could have made contracting her own acres. I can see why pioneer does this. less people to watch and keep track of. contractor makes all the money for their risk.

Edited by idalivered 3/14/2019 06:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)