AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jdPredator
Posted 3/14/2019 07:53 (#7379510 - in reply to #7379182)
Subject: RE: Pioneer chooses migrants over USA for detassling

Michigan
There are a lot more restrictions when using child labor verses a contract adult workforce.

This is my experience in this area so take it for what it is...

Child safety is a huge concern. Every recordable incident in a detasseling crew was documented as an incident for the plant here. H2A is not the case.
Child labor have heat restrictions. There is an "acclimation period" for these teenagers, and they can't work over so many hours or if the heat index is to high.

There are employees at the plant that's only job is to monitor the teenagers safety.

The Monsanto plant in our area has been using migrant workers for at least the last 10 years.

I detasseled from 13-18, and I wish my children could too. Kids need to work bad jobs to appreciate good ones later in life. Everyone just thinks they should all be managers when they have never been grunts. Unfortunately our legislative body makes it harder and harder to maintain a young adult work force. Also, parents in our area don't push their children to work.

It might be the easy button, but in my opinion, it's a necessary evil. Migrants do a better job, quicker, and which out as much risk.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)