AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marion Calmer P&K Research Trials
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

humblefarmer
Posted 3/11/2019 20:21 (#7374401 - in reply to #7373783)
Subject: RE: Marion Calmer P&K Research Trials

indiana
Well we know manure is chock full of nutrients and other good things. They might not be fertilizing with commercial fertilizer but they are replacing nutrients. This might be wrong , just my opinion , but cover crops are great at scavenging for nutrients and bringing them(making available) to the crops. This is all great and there is million of pounds of soil to scavenge through. How many years does it take to mine the bank empty ? In my area many tried years ago to raise crops inexpensively by hardly applying any P & K . Seemed they used a lot of lime. At first their crops didn't miss a beat. Then one day their yields fell off a steep cliff. The old adage , pay me now or pay me later. Many of these things work good until they don't. Everything in moderation seems pertinent to almost everything.

I base all of this from renting ground that the neighbors said was junk. Well it was just abused. Farmed hard(too much tillage at the wrong times) and poor fertility. Give it some TLC and fertilizer and over time it comes back to life.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)