AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ag management software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 4/21/2009 01:05 (#687801 - in reply to #686153)
Subject: RE: ag management software

Grand Rapids, MI
Mapshots is a good package. I have used it, Farmworks, and the SST offerings (a couple years ago). If you want just precision ag stuff at the farm level, I would say EasiSuite is your best bet for what you are asking to do. If you want to integrate the management accounting aspect and don't have hard core GIS needs, then you should be looking at Farmworks. I would say the two are in the same category as far as "user friendly" There is always a trade-off between user friendliness and capability, I would say both packages lean toward the capability side. That being said, they certainly are not impossible to learn by any means. To do all the things you listed, however, you are going to need to spend a significant amount of time with any package. Your time will be spent learning the software, setting it up properly, figuring out data managment protocols/training employees/interfacing with suppliers, getting data imported, actually figuring out how to use the data/writing formulas/etc, actually processing the data, saving it out and getting it to the field to be used, etc.

The point is if you want to do everying you listed, it is not a small task. I am not sure what kind of time you are thinking about investing, but think ahead about all these things, and what you ultimately want to get out of the system, and what value it has to you.

The other thing to consider is to have a professional help you. We do all the data work for several farms, and a couple have their own software and we do most of the import/processing/export as well as help them with implementation. They have their own software so they can see the data and work with it as they please as well.

So the big idea is to "start with the end in mind" figure how many $ and how much time ($/hr) it will take to get there. Compare that to the value you expect to recieve.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)